Since doing an intensive 3-day public speaking course over the weekend, I have been amazed how it has impacted my whole life as opposed to just my ability to be better at public speaking.
I have been doing a lot of contemplation since Monday, about what I want to do to change the world, how I want to do it and who I want to impact. Needless to say an interesting outcome from a public speaking course!
From the course a few things became very clear:
- Continuous self-improvement impacts all your life, not just the topic you are improving yourself in.
- If you don’t improve yourself nothing will change for you or those you touch
- In business, by not looking outside the square, observing how you can do things better and then doing it (because key is action) your competitors will leave you well and truly behind
Over the next couple of weeks you’ll see the video I taped on the last day of the course through our Facebook and LinkedIn page. For someone who can talk underwater, I found it extraordinary that I felt the pressure more than I had thought it would. Learning new things and being thrown into the deep end to perform, is enough to fling anyone out of their comfort zone – something we should all do more often.
My intention is to speak more regularly at corporate events/meetings about personal development and particularly around confidence. Considering my other business is Self Confident Women that’s really a no-brainer.
And it’s funny how intent works – as I sit here in a Tamworth café writing this article, I’ve just been approached by the President of the Chamber of Commerce to speak at their Women in Business event later this year – go figure!
So here’s two Action Steps to consider:
- If you are thinking of developing some or all of the women in your workplace, let me give you a tip – prioritise Confidence; Resilience and Communication. You will see an immediate change in productivity and ultimately profitability.
- If you’re planning to do a little personal development yourself, this is for you. Life is busy, I get that but we need to keep up to date with what’s happening. I love books but often don’t get the time to read them from cover to cover and miss a lot of what I would like to read due to time constraints. This weekend I was introduced to the app Blinkist, made for movers and shakers (their words but I quite like them!). 15 minutes insight summaries or a 2 minute key message. A smarter you in 15 minutes (their words again!). I’m in – are you?
Until next time.
Glenise is the Owner and Director of SR Group and Self Confident Women. Her passion lies in increasing confidence and emotional intelligence levels for individuals and teams, creating higher productivity and happiness. She is a Speaker, qualified Trainer, Advanced Consultant in Extended DISC and Coach & Mentor